Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My Summer Reading List, Part the First

There are, as always, LOTS of books I am looking forward to for Summer Vacation reading. Some of the new releases coming up on my list are:


INTO THE SHADOWS
Shirley Wells
Carroll and Graf
June 2013

Forensic Psychologist Jill Kennedy has moved to a quiet village and retired from police work after a traumatic experience- she hopes. But when the vicar's wife is murdered, she is called upon by DCI Max Trentham for her professional expertise. Shirley Wells is a favorite author of mine and has written the Dylan Scott Mysteries for Carina Press. This is an earlier series, finally available in kindle editions in the US. Into the Shadows is the first in the Jill Kennedy series and one that I have been waiting for a long time.




BROKEN HOMES (PC Grant #4)
Ben Aaronovitch
Gollancz
July 25, 2013

It seems like a very long time since the last Police Constable Grant and Inspector Nightingale adventure through the seen and unseen parts of London. This time they are off to Elephant and Castle in pursuit of a murderer. The city itself is almost a character in this clever paranormal series because Aaronovitch has an encyclopedic knowledge of the city's ways and by-ways and obviously loves his subject. Sometimes the UK editions have different titles and covers but so far this is the only edition showing on amazon. It's a must read, no matter what.




THE LAVENDER GARDEN
Lucinda Riley
Atria Books
June 2013

Lucinda Riley is a new author to me but came highly recommended by a Swedish bookseller I was chatting with in line at Book Expo. She said that if I liked Kate Morton I would also like Lucinda Riley. All the elements seem to be there; a legendary chateau, deep family secrets and a timeline that switches between Paris in 1944 and the chateau in the South of France in 1998.  I'm looking forward to giving it a try in the very near future.
                                 



RAVEN FLIGHT (Shadowfell #2)
Juliet Marillier
Knopf Books for Young Readers
July 2013

Raven Flight is one of the books I am most looking forward to. Juliet Marillier is a favorite author through her Sevenwaters books and Bridei Chronicles for adults. I read the first in the Shadowfell Trilogy, written for Young Adults, but equally attractive to adults last year. Marillier's fantasy stories are deeply rooted in Celtic Mythology. The Shadowfell Trilogy combines a growing up story and the fight to overthrow an evil King. 

Fans of Juliet Marillier will be glad to know that Audible is producing audio downloads for the Sevenwaters books and Bridei. I've been hoping for that since I read my first Sevenwaters  so I'm thrilled.

More to come........


No comments:

Post a Comment