Friday, July 19, 2013

The Demon Trappers Daughter (Demon Trappers #1)


THE DEMON TRAPPER'S DAUGHTER
Jana Oliver
St. Martin's/Griffin
February 2011

The Demon Trapper's Daughter was a great surprise for me and exactly what I needed for a hot summer day's read. I had not heard of it until I read positive reviews on goodreads from Maria V. Snyder and D.B. Jackson. As they are two of my favorite Fantasy authors I decided to give the book a try and was not at all disappointed. Even though I tend to steer away from books billed as YA (I can hardly keep up with my "Adult" TBR list) The Demon Trapper's Daughter was pure escapist fun.

Riley Blackthorne is seventeen and living with her father,the legendary trapper Paul Blackthorne, in Atlanta. Riley has always wanted to follow in her father's footsteps and is now his apprentice. The two have only each other as Riley's mother died of cancer several years earlier. Paul was not always a trapper; he was a teacher and the family lived in tony Buckhead. That was before the economy collapsed and her mother got ill. Saddled with huge medical bills and the loss of his job and home, Riley and Paul live in a small apartment.


The Demon Trapper's Daughter has a well constructed dystopian world and very memorable characters. There is plenty of action; Hell is sending in demons to take over the city and only the Trapper's Guild stands in it's way. Since a very powerful Level Five Demon has Riley in his sights, it may be up to her to stop the Apocalypse. I can see that I will be reading the four books in the series in very short order!

RATING- 4.5 Level 5 Demons

No comments:

Post a Comment